Board of Trustees
Member Responsibilities and Expectations
Members of the Austin Preparatory School Board of Trustees are in a unique position to make a significant contribution to our school. The vitality and future well-being of Austin Preparatory School depends on the commitment and caring leadership of our Board members. We are holders of all that is important in the life of the school and as such, we must be clear about our responsibilities.
- Trustees will actively support and promote the school’s mission, vision, strategic goals, and policy positions – which they will do by familiarizing themselves with the school’s bylaws, mission statement, and associated documents;
- Trustees will be knowledgeable about the school’s mission and goals and will represent them appropriately and accurately within the community;
- Trustees will stay fully informed and knowledgeable about current operations and issues by attending meetings regularly, coming to meetings well prepared, and participating fully in all matters;
- The Board sets policy and focuses on long-range and strategic issues. Trustees acknowledge that their role is governance and leadership, not management, and they will redirect back to the Headmaster those stakeholders (faculty or parents or alumni) who hope to engage Trustees as an “appeals court” or “grievance committee.” Individual Trustees do not become involved directly in specific management, personnel, programming, or operational issues;
- Authority is vested in the Board of Trustees as a whole. A Trustee who learns of an issue of importance to the school has the obligation to bring it to the Headmaster, who speaks for the school, or to the Chair of the Board, who speaks for the Board of Trustees, and must refrain from responding to a situation individually;
- Trustees accept and support Board decisions. Once a decision has been made, the Board speaks as one voice;
- Trustees keep all Board deliberations confidential;
- Trustees guard against conflict of interest, whether personal or business related, in accordance with the school’s policy;
- Trustees have the responsibility to support the school and its Headmaster and to demonstrate that support within the community;
- Each Trustee, not just the treasurer and members of the finance committee, has fiduciary responsibility to the school for sound financial management; and
- Trustees contribute to the development/advancement program of the school, including strategic planning for development, financial support, and active involvement in annual and capital giving. Trustees should make the school a philanthropic priority and each Trustee is encouraged to consider making lifetime, as well as testamentary, gifts to the school.
Approved September 17, 2016