Golf Tournament Raises Over $70,000
Thank you to all the sponsors, auction item and raffle prize donors, golfers, dinner guests and volunteers for making the 31st Annual Austin Open Golf Tournament even more successful than last year!
The tournament raised over $70,000 (a $5,000 increase from the 30th Anniversary Tournament) to benefit the Austin Scholars Program - Inner-City Scholarship Fund. The fund supports deserving students who would otherwise not be able to afford an Austin Prep education.
Our parent, past parent and alumni golfers enjoyed a beautiful day at Indian Ridge Country Club in Andover. After checking in, student volunteers Ava Lauria ’20, Sullivan Marino ’19, Matt Sacco ’18, and Evan Rago ’19 assisted golfers with getting their clubs into their assigned carts. The sold-out afternoon flight kicked off at 12:00 noon.
One of the highlights of the event was the Varsity Shot, where players from Austin Prep’s championship Golf Team took a fifth swing for each foursome and a chance to record that score. This year, Nick Hampoian ’18 and Michael Strazzere ’19 took the Varsity Shot.
Dinner-only guests joined the festivities at 5:00 pm for the cocktail hour, followed by a buffet dinner, and everyone took part in our raffles, silent and live auctions.
Congratulations to our winning golfers:
- 1st Place Team (58): James Peterson ’76, P’19, P’21; Steve Brown; Bob Curran; and Charlie Southmayd
- 2nd Place Team (59): Chris Frommelt P’07, P’11; Bob Pendergast; Dave Pearce; and Matt Frommelt
- Closest to the Hole #7: Ron Nelson ’75 (2 feet, 7 inches)
- Closest to the Hole #16: Derek Ross P’20 (6 feet, 6 inches)
- Longest Drive - Men: Brandon Bell (310 yards)
- Longest Drive - Women: Becky McKie P’16, P’17 (185 yards)
We are grateful to the members of school leadership and staff for their help, and we are especially grateful to our parent volunteers: Jessica Hampoian P’18, P’20; Cindy Hickey P’22, P’23, P’24; Steve and Terri Reddy P’16, P’18; Lynel Rinklin P’20; and Andy Tucker P’19.