Members of the Academic Decathlon Team continue their march toward the national competition, bringing home numerous individual awards at the Regional Championships last weekend, and qualifying for the State Championships next month.
In spite of competing shorthanded, the team finished fourth in the Small Schools Division and ninth overall with 24,934.5 points.
The team consisted of Thomas Burnham ’18, Bryan Snow ’18, Spencer Casey ’19, Bridget McCarthy ’19, James Moro ’19, Ethan Tilley ’19, and Khoa Le ’20. Stanley Alger ’21, Brianna Fountain ’21, Emma Kilbride ’21, and Eryn Trant ’21 served as alternates.
The following earned individual honors:
- Thomas: Silver Medal in Interview, Bronze Medals in Art and Social Science, Honorable Mention in Literature
- Spencer: Gold Medal in Speech, Bronze Medal for 3rd Overall Score in the Subjective Categories (Essay, Interview, Speech) in the Scholastic Division, Honorable Mentions in Economics and Mathematics
- Emma: Team Award as Top Scoring Alternate
- Khoa: Gold Medal in Science
- Bridget: Gold Medal in Interview, 5th Overall Score in the Scholastic Division, Honorable Mentions in Art, Literature, and Science
- Bryan: Gold Medals in Economics and Music, Bronze Medals in Science and Speech, Team High Scorer, Bronze Medal for 3rd Overall Score in the Scholastic Division, Honorable Mentions in Math and Social Science
- Ethan: Honorable Mentions in Economics, Literature, Music, and Speech
The team’s moderators are Mr. Edward MacKenzie ’99, History Faculty, and Ms. Kayla Greenwood, Theology Faculty.
Special thanks to the three members of the Austin community who volunteered to serve as speech and interview judges - Mrs. Natalie Petrillo P’10, Mathematics Faculty Chair, and Mr. and Mrs. William and Shirley MacKenzie P'99, P'03.
The team looks forward to continuing its preparation in advance of the Massachusetts State Championships on Saturday, March 3rd at Harvard University and hopes to qualify once again for the Small Schools National Championships in April.
Please note: For more news, please visit our Archive: www.austinprep.org/newsarchive.